Board Position Details
BOARD MEMBER: Members of CHIRP’s Board of Directors serve a crucial role in ensuring the stability and future success of the organization through oversight, fundraising, donor cultivation, and outreach.
Board Members share their time and talent through a variety of ways including:
- attending board meetings every other month
- serving on at least one committee of the board and participating in special projects and planning
- committing to a personal give/get of $1000/year
- making a personally meaningful annual donation to the organization
- serving as an ambassador for the organization through personal and professional networks and community engagements
- participating in CHIRP social fundraising campaigns twice per year
- assisting in donor cultivation, including prospecting for major gifts
- attending CHIRP fundraisers and events and securing event attendees
- Board Term: One-year board commitment
- Financial Contribution: Board members are required to fundraise on the organization’s behalf.
- Faith-based Organization: We are not a faith-based organization.
- Skills: Legal advice, marketing, networking, development, serving as an ambassador for the organization
About CHIRP Radio
CHIRP is a volunteer-driven, community radio station that focuses on music, arts, and culture and strives to serve as a virtual gathering place for Chicago’s diverse creative communities. The station can be heard on the city’s north side at 107.1FM and worldwide at chirpradio.org.
CHIRP is live and local every day of the year from 6am-midnight from studios in Chicago’s North Center neighborhood. CHIRP plays a wide mix of local, independent, lesser-heard, and just generally good music from a variety of genres and eras. CHIRP DJs are true music fans who love to share their discoveries, new and old, with listeners. The station also includes conversations produced by our Features department with artists, activists, and other people doing interesting work.
In addition to its on-air programming, CHIRP produces a number of events each year, including a monthly live music series (CHIRP Night at the Whistler), a quarterly live lit and music series (The First Time), and two popular Record Fairs, one each May at Plumbers Hall and another in July in association with the Pitchfork Music Festival.
CHIRP has more than 250 volunteers who work in all aspects of the station. No prior radio experience is required to become a CHIRP volunteer, and training is offered in a wide variety of skills, from on-air performance and audio production to interviewing and writing music reviews.