American Blues Theater
Board Position Details
BOARD MEMBER: American Blues Theater is seeking Board members who will engage with our work, and commit to helping us get to the next level. The Board meets six times per year, and each Board member serves on at least one committee. Board members are also expected to attend our productions, special events, and fundraisers.
- Board Term: One year terms, renewable annually. Anticipated commitment of 1-5 hours per month.
- Financial Contribution: Board members are required to contribute financially.
- Faith-based Organization: We are not a faith-based organization.
- Skills: Accounting/Financial, Fundraising, Legal, Real Estate, Government
About American Blues Theater
American Blues Theater is a premier arts organization with an intimate environment that patrons, artists, and all Chicagoans call home. American Blues Theater explores the American identity through the plays it produces and communities it serves.
For over 30 years, American Blues Theater has explored American identity by telling the stories of remarkable Americans through new work, musicals, and reimagined classic plays. Envisioned as a theater that is accessible and relevant to all, American Blues Theater has focused especially on the lives of Americans – from fictional characters dealing with relatable challenges emblematic of a certain time or place to historical figures whose roots informed the role they would ultimately play in our country’s history.
Today, American Blues Theater reaches approximately 20,000 adults and young people every year through a thoughtfully designed annual season that reflects an intrinsic commitment to new and classic work, as well as robust education and community programs.
Our primary activities include:
- Mainstage Productions: four mainstage productions annually
- Arts Education: free arts education program in Chicago Public Schools
- New Work Development: developing the classic plays and musicals of tomorrow
- Community Service: partnering with community collaborators for every production